Fri, Jun 23|
Jan Clark INSPIRED BY HUNDERTWASSER Textile art class
Hundertwasser was an eccentric Austrian painter/architect who took the quirky figurative worlds of Klee and Miro forward into the mid twentieth century. Join Jan Clark to create your own textile art interpretation of Hundertwasser
Time & Location
Jun 23, 2023, 6:00 PM – Jun 24, 2023, 9:00 PM
Armidale, 11 Marsh St, Armidale NSW 2350, Australia
About the event
Hundertwasser was an eccentric Austrian painter/architect who took the quirky figurative worlds of Klee and Miro forward into the mid twentieth century. He developed a personal symbolism and colour palette that set him outside the formal paths of Modernism but established him as formidable artist. In this workshop we follow his decorative style of
intense colour and flattened perspective and use it to explore the creative technique of
reverse applique. Hundertwasser’s lively landscapes of lines and wobbly rectangles lend themselves perfectly to the qualities of reverse applique.
We will make some samples and then use these skills to make a small art textile reflecting Hundertwasser’s playful world.
You will leave the workshop with the skills of reverse applique and the ability to develop these for your own work.
Friday July 23rd 6pm-9pm
Saturday July 24th 9am-3pm (morning & afternoon tea provided )
Tea & Coffee included
Kitchenette facilities available at studio
REQUIREMENTS We will be using free motion machining so the feed dogs will be lowered and sewing will be done with the darning foot, or other suitable foot. Some experience in free motion machining, or stippling, would be good for you to get the most benefit from this class. I am not a machine mechanic so if you have trouble with your machine I won't be able to fix it.
- a notebook is essential, there will be many techniques, hints and tips.
- sewing machine with darning foot or quilting foot for free motion machine stitching.
- Sharp pointed scissors for detailed cutting into fabric.
- Pins (long quilting preferred) and usual sewing equipment.
- Threads that will blend with your colour range, variegated often work well with these techniques.
- Hundertwasser used strong rainbow colours in most of his work. You can follow this theme or choose your own. Solid, hand dyed and patterned colours are fine. A range of different fabrics, synthetics, glitz, lace, will also add richness. The choice is yours.
- Scraps are good, nothing needs to be more than fat quarter size (50 x 55 cms), as small as hand size is plenty. Lots of scraps.
- Scraps of glitz, laces, nets and sheers that you love. I will bring a limited supply of glitz scraps if you don't have anything like this.
- Bring at least 50cms of iron-on interfacing/vylene. You can add thin pellon, canvas or batting, such as Warm & Natural, and experiment with the different weights.
- Sewing machine cleaned and oiled with a new needle and spare needles
If you have any questions regarding the Class
- Ticket type
Jan Clark HUNDERTWASSER Class
Friday July 23rd 6pm-9pmPriceA$225.00